Life in HUTE for International Students

Information for Foreign Exchange Students

Introduction to Kato

The Hyogo University of Teacher Education is located in Kato, which is situated to the northwest of Osaka and Kobe in southern Hyogo prefecture. It takes about 1 hour and 10 minutes to travel there by car from the metropolitan area of Osaka and Kobe.
Kato has a population of 40,194 (as of January 2012), and an area of 157.49 km².
The vast Ureshino Heights, formed in the Kako and Tojo river basins, along with the Kako river basin, which stretches from western to southern Hyogo, are home to fertile plains.As a result, Kato is a beautiful, quiet town blessed with a mild climate and rich natural surroundings.As a town originally built in 722 to house Saho temple, Kato has prospered since ancient times and houses a great many cultural assets such as Choko-ji temple, a national treasure. Kato has been developed as a central city of Hyogo since the establishment of a county office during the Meiji period, which was followed by a courthouse, regional legal affairs bureau, and the prefectural branch office. Kato is also the home of the Kato International Association, which actively promotes exchanges between international students and the community.

Page Top

Summary of the Hyogo University of Teacher Education


The university was established in October, 1978 as an institute with two programs embodying a new concept of education. The Graduate School of Education (Master's Program) provides in-service teachers with opportunities to carry out high-level research on education. The Faculty of School Education (Undergraduate Kindergarten and Elementary School Teacher Training Program) trains kindergarten and elementary school teachers. Then in April, 1996, the Joint Graduate School in the Science of School Education (Ph. D. Program) was opened to develop educators with high level research and teaching abilities. Ever since, with the three programs, the university has been striving to be:
a "university for teachers" which carries out both theoretical and practical research on education, a" university open to society" in Japan and overseas which promotes school education from a wider perspective, and a "university disseminating information" which constantly helps modify and upgrade teaching practices.
Most recently, in 2008, the university founded the Graduate School of Education for Professional Degrees (Master of Education Program). We are a diverse institution that sustains everything from welfare facilities to sports care, not to mention being an institution for education research first and foremost. We also maintain the latest equipment for education research. As of May 2011, our student population was 1,583 (formally registered students), with 330 teaching staff.

Academic Year

The academic year begins on April 1st and concludes on March 31st of the following year.

The year is separated into two semesters:
First semester April 1st to September 30th
Second semester October 1st to March 31st

During this time there is summer break (August 1st to September 30th), winter break (December 25th to January 7th), and spring break at the end of the year (March 17th to April 5th).

Academic Courses
The undergraduate school consists of the Faculty of School Education Kindergarten and Elementary School Teacher-Training Program.
The Faculty of School Education not only spans a wide range of subjects and fundamental knowledge, but also seeks to foster the comprehensive abilities needed as a kindergarten and elementary school teacher.
Those who have studied four years or more and obtain the required credits to graduate will be awarded a university degree.
Graduate (Master's)
The graduate school consists of the Graduate School of Education (Master's Program).
Our postgraduate course cultivates pioneers in the field of research in educational theory and practice through specialized and general research in the sciences relating primarily to elementary and middle school practical education. We strive to foster the qualities and abilities required of elementary and middle school teachers. To this end, roughly 2/3 of all admitted students have at least three years teaching experience.
Those who have studied for two years or more, obtained the required credits and research guidance, undergone thesis review, and passed the exam will be awarded a masters' degree.
Joint Graduate School (PhD)
The Joint Graduate School (Ph.D.Program) in Science of School Education Our school was established in association with Joetsu University of Education, Okayama University, and Naruto University of Education.
Our joint graduate program, based on the results produced by the combined curriculum of the four universities, is comprised of education and research organizations that perform practical research of educational activities and curriculum. We aim to foster competent individuals who have highly developed research and leadership skills that are grounded in practice and attempt to contribute to the clear improvement of the quality of teachers in response to the current diversification of education.
Those who have studied for three years or more (individuals with superb work may also complete a masters' in the same time), obtained the required credits and research guidance, undergone thesis review, and passed the exam will be awarded a PhD. Moreover, after completing a thesis, students will also be required to pass the exam for PhD candidates in join research.
Research Students
Individuals interested in doing research in a specific field may be permitted to enroll as a research student if they choose. The enrollment period starts at the beginning of the academic year or the start of a semester.
A research period is between three months to a year, but permission may be granted to extend the research period to up to three years.
Students of Specific
Individuals interested in doing research in a specific field within the Faculty of School Education or Graduate School of Education, may choose to forgo classes and enroll as a students of specific. The enrollment period starts at the beginning of the academic year or the start of a semester and last one year. However, permission may be granted to extend the research period up to two years.
Such students must take the exam included in their course enrollment fees and pass to receive credit.
Special Auditors
It is possible for students from international universities with an established connection to our university to enroll as special auditors if the appropriate university gives consent. As a general rule, the enrolment period starts at the beginning of the semester.
The auditing period lasts up to one year. At that time, individuals who have the passed the designated exam will receive credit.

Page Top

Studying at the Hyogo University of Teacher Education

Qualifications for Admission
Graduate Program
A student who has completed prescribed courses at an institute of higher education outside of Japan will qualify for admission to HUTE if the student has completed 16 years of school education. Those who are recognized as having academic ability equal to or above that of a college graduate and are at least 22 years in age also qualify for admission to the graduate school.
Undergraduate Program
A student who has completed his or her secondary education (including high school) and school education for 12 years or more outside of Japan will qualify for admission to HUTE. A student educated in a country where primary and secondary education (including high school) lasts for less than 12 years will become qualified for admission if he or she completes a college preparatory course designated by the Japanese Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, and if the student is over 18 years old. Those who have qualifications such as an International Baccalaureate or Abitur and are aged at least 18 years are also qualified for admission to HUTE.
Academic Year

The academic year at HUTE normally begins in April and ends the following March. Some classes are run year-around, but classes are usually divided into semesters, lasting through the first semester (April - September) or the second semester (October - March). Students normally enroll in April,but some academic programs permit students to enter at a different time, such as in October.
There are usually three long vacations at HUTE during the academic year: summer break (August 1st to September 30th), winter break (December 25th to January 7th) and spring break (March 17th to April 5th).

Payment to the University (for FY2012) and others
Tuition Fee, Admission Fee and Examination Fee
Type of fee Tuition Fee Admission fee Examination Fee
Doctoral Program Annual amount ¥535,800 ¥282,000 ¥30,000
Graduate Program
Undergraduate Program ¥17,000
Research student Monthly amount ¥29,700 ¥84,600 ¥9,800

The annual payment to be made in two installments (first half and second half)
[Payment period] April 1 to 30 for the first half and October 1 to 31 for the second half
*In case the tuition fee is revised while you are in school, the new tuition fee will apply upon revision.

Page Top

International Student Division

Government Financed International Exchange Students

Government financed international exchange students are foreign students who have received the MEXT scholarship (established by the Minister of Education on March 31st, 1954) from the Japanese government (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology) to undergo study or research at a Japanese university.

(1)Research students

You must be under 35 years of age and a college graduate (includes prospective graduates).If you would like to enroll in a master's program, you must be a college graduate and have completed 16 years of schooling.

(2)Teacher training students

You must be under 35 years of age and, in principle, a graduate of a college or teacher training college.You must have at least five years of active experience as a teacher in a primary, secondary or teacher training college in your country. (Please note that college and university teachers currently in active service are not considered for this scholarship.)
■"Teacher-Training" Program in 2012 at Hyogo University of Teacher Education

(3)Undergraduate students

You must be at least 17 and under 22 years of age and have completed 12 years of schooling, or have completed courses in a school comparable to a high school (includes prospective graduates).

(4)Japanese studies students

Applicants must be from 18 to 29 years old. Applicants must be enrolled as undergraduate students in faculties or schools that major in Japanese language or Japanese culture in a university outside Japan at the time they come to Japan, and must be enrolled in the home institution at the time they return to their home countries. Students majoring in fields other than Japanese language or Japanese culture who wish to study various aspects of Japan (engineering, economy, agriculture, architecture, art, etc.) as part of their major studies should apply to the JASSO for admission to the Short-term Student Exchange Promotion Program.
■Outline of "Japanese Language and Culture Studies" Program in 2012 at Hyogo University of Teacher Education

Government Financed International Exchange Student Admission
Japanese government scholarship students are recruited and selected in three ways:
(1) Embassy recommendation For those outside Japan
(2) University recommendation For those outside Japan
(3) Domestic selection For those already in Japan
(1)Embassy recommendation

1)Scholarship recipients recruited and initially screened by an embassy (or consulate general, depending on the country) are called "embassy recommended students".These students can apply through the following steps:

<Undergraduate and Research Students>
Recruitment for the next fiscal year's undergraduate and research students is generally conducted in March of the previous year (undergraduate students wishing to come to Japan in April of the following year, research students wishing to come to Japan in April or in October of the following year). The initial first-phase screening (documentary examination, written test and interview) is made at the embassy, and then the selected applicants will be recommended to MEXT through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA).
<Japanese Studies Students and Teacher Training Students>
Recruitment for the next fiscal year's Japanese studies students is generally conducted in December of the previous year (students wishing to come to Japan in October of the following year). The initial first-phase screening (documentary examination, written test and interview) is made at the embassy, and then the selected applicants will be recommended to MEXT through MOFA

2)Because the application process differs according to the country, please inquire at the Japanese embassy or consulate general in your country for details.

(2)University recommendation

1)Scholarship recipients recruited by Japanese universities, mainly based upon the academic exchange agreements, are called "university recommended students". The hosting Japanese university will recommend these students to MEXT, and the status of such students includes research students and Japanese studies students.

2)University recommended students (research students and Japanese studies students) will come to Japan in October.
The recommendation by the university must be submitted to MEXT by early April of the school year.

(3)Domestic Selection

1)Selecting government scholarship recipients recruited from enrolled foreign students by the Japanese universities is called "domestic selection". Eligible applicants in this category are privately financed, full-time postgraduate foreign students, prospective postgraduate students, and full-time, prospective fourth-year undergraduate university students, and selected students will receive scholarships starting in April.

2)The university carefully screens for academically and individually exceptional people and must recommend them by early December as government-sponsored scholarship candidates to MEXT.

Recruiting Periods and Enrollment for Government Sponsored Foreign Students
  Status Approximate application period Starting periods
Embassy recommendation Research Students March April or October of the following year
Undergraduate Students April of the following year
Teacher Taining Students December October of the following year
Japanese Studies Students December October of the following year
University recommendation Japanese Studies Students February to April October of the same year
Research Students
Domestic Selection Research Students October April of the following year
Undergraduate Students

Page Top

Privately Financed International Exchange Students

Privately financed international exchange students are all foreign students outside of government financed international exchange students.
Privately financed foreign students are accepted at HUTE in one of two ways:
1)The student is accepted after domestic regular examination upon applying directly to
HUTE undergraduate/graduate programs from his or her own country.

2)The student first enrolls in a private Japanese-language institute and completes preparatory education of about one-year in duration. The student then applies to HUTE undergraduate/graduate programs.
In either case, the student needs to go through the selection process designated by HUTE.

<Enrolling in the Graduate Program>
To enroll in the graduate program at HUTE, for both regular students and research students, the applicants must take entrance examinations, such as documentary examination, written test and interview, by the Graduate School of HUTE.
<Enrolling in the Undergraduate Programs>
As a university providing unique education courses for the development of teachers, HUTE accepts foreign students, duly educated in their own countries, with various cultures, histories and traditions in order to develop international human resources equipped with a wide range of knowledge on school education, practical leadership, and a deep understanding of Japan.
Private Scholarships

There are scholarships available to privately financed international exchange students from JASSO and other various scholarship foundations.
Application information such as notices for qualified individuals will be posted in the Department for Student Support.

Exemption from School Fees, Collection Postponement, etc.

For those who the full tuition payment is difficult due to financial reasons, it is possible to receive an exemption from half or all tuition fees as a result of recognized academic excellence.
Instances where a sudden change in family finances make tuition payments difficult, such as a natural disaster or the death of the individual managing tuition fees, also apply.
There is also the possibility of collection postponement (deferment or monthly payments).

Government Dispatched International Exchange Student

Government dispatched international exchange students are students who are dispatched by foreign counties for human resource development due to an expense burden on the foreign government. They are considered privately financed international exchange students.

Page Top


Classroom Teachers, Teaching Advisors

Students will be lead by classroom teachers and teaching advisors. Please seek them for advice and consulting in regards to any problems relating study as well as everyday life.

Subjects for International Exchange Students and Supplementary Japanese Classes

Classes we offer for undergraduate international exchange students include "Japanese Communication I, II," "Japanese Reading," and "Japanese Affairs," while classes for graduate international exchange students include "State of Japanese Education," and "Japanese Language and Culture." In addition, in order to improve upon the Japanese language ability required for daily life, study, and research, we have hired instructors to give Japanese lectures outside of class.

International Student Coaching (Tutor) System

The tutoring system for international exchange students is individual extracurricular teaching in education research under the guidance of a teaching advisor. Tutors will be selected by the university based on the recommendations of teaching advisors.

Field Trips

Field trips occur once a year under university guidance with the goal of broadening knowledge of Japanese culture, history, and industries, gaining a deeper understanding of Japan, fostering understanding between students and instructors, and deepening friendships. As such, all international exchange students will be required to attend.

Page Top

Everyday Life

University Welfare Facilities

The welfare facilities in the university hall include: a cafeteria, café, bookstore, barber shop, community room, Japanese-style room, common room, and Minato Bank ATM.
In Ureshino Life Hall there is a newsstand (for stationary, groceries, daily necessities, etc.), multi-purpose hall, and post office ATM.

Food, Shopping

In addition to the welfare facilities on campus, there is a shopping district as well as super markets and convenience stores in Kato. Any shopping related to food, everyday items, clothing, and essential items can be done at these shops. All displayed prices include 5% tax as a rule.

Events, etc.

Our university is involved in the Kato Friendship Family Project, and as such our international exchange students conduct events and other functions. The Friendship Family exchange is the first step towards international exchange in the local community. Students also act as everyday conversation partners and provide advice.
In addition, we conduct the Kato International Exchange Salon, Christmas party, and other events. Please be an active participant in these events.


Japanese railways are primarily run by private corporations. The largest of these are the 6 JR companies. JR West runs through Hyogo prefecture.
There are a number of JR tickets, including commuter (regular fare), special express, express, green car, sleeping car, and reserved seat tickets.
Students who use JR for journeys over 110 km can receive a student discount (20% off the regular fare) if they have a passenger discount card (available from the machine in the office on level 1 of the Department for Student Support).
Reserved seat special express, green car, sleeping car, and reserved seat tickets go on sale one month before the departure date. Please ask the railway enquiry office at your station to see timetables, fare details, and train times. The closest station to the university is Yashirocho Station on the JR Kakogawa line. (19 minutes by bus)


When coming from Osaka or Kobe, it is convenient to use buses to get to Kato city.


Cost can vary somewhat depending on the destination and car size. Meter fare costs are calculated based on flag fall plus total mileage and time. Late night fares apply between 11 pm and 5 am. There is no need to tip.

Part-time Jobs

International exchange students are qualified to remain in Japan under the status of "exchange student" for study and research purposes. Students wishing to work part-time must get permission from the immigration office.

Emergency Services

Fire (TEL 119: Fire Department)
Sudden illness/injury (TEL 119: Fire Department)
Traffic accidents/robbery/crime (TEL 110: Police Station)
In the case that you are involved in a traffic accident, robbery or crime, please contact the police.
Earthquakes/typhoons/storm and flood damage
Japan is country prone to earthquakes. Furthermore, summer to autumn is typhoon season, and storm and flood damage occurs easily during this time. Please confirm refuge shelter locations and prepare supplies in case of emergencies.
In the case of a natural disaster, first ensure your own safety and then gather further information from the radio, TV, or newspapers. If you cannot return to your home, please contact the university or your country's consulate immediately.
University emergency contact details
Monday to Friday (9:00 am to 5:00 pm)
TEL0795-44-2043(The international exchange student support division team)
Other important numbers  TEL0795-44-1109

Page Top